Living with and understanding urge incontinenceUrge incontinence is different from stress incontinence in that it is characterized by a sudden urge to urinate frequently and uncontrollably. There are two phases - filling / storage, and emptying. The bladder of an average person can hold 350 mL to 550 mL of urine and generally a person feels the need to urinate when there are approximately 200 mL of urine in the bladder. The nervous system tells you that you need to urinate, and also allows the bladder to continue to fill. The majority of cases of urge incontinence are idiopathic, which means a specific cause cannot be identified. Bed wetting is common with this condition and people typically have to use the bathroom about every two hours . During urge incontinence, the bladder squeezes and contracts, pushing urine out involuntarily.
There are two types of bladders that are associated with urge incontinence. The most common is the neurogenic bladder that is caused by a brain injury or spinal cord damage that disturbs nerve function resulting in the loss of motor control and bladder sensation. The second type of bladder problem is caused by chronic urinary tract infection or bladder stones which cause detrusor muscle instability which may lead to urge incontinence.
Because urge incontinence creates a moderate to heavy incontinence level there are a number of products available that can help you live with it. Men might require briefs or belted-undergarments while women may require a moderate pad such as the Secure Beltless Undergarments. Below you will find products that can help you deal with urge incontinence.
* New softer thinner design
* Wide adhesive strip holds undergarment securely in place
* Easy to wear undergarments with moderate absorbency
* Soft cloth-like construction ensures a comfortable fit
* Odor guard via SecureLoc core technology, with extra polymer protection
* Moderate-heavy absorbency
* Soft lining for Dryer Skin
* One size fits all! Comfortable elastic ensures snug fit for everyone.
* Cloth-like construction with elastic buttoned straps that stretch up to 120% its size for maximum comfort and fit
* Odor protection via SecureLoc TM technology
Belted Undergarments Page