Living with and understanding fecal incontinence
Fecal incontinence, otherwise know as bowel incontinence is the inability to control one's own bowels. It can range from an occasional leakage of stool with the passage of gas to a complete loss of control of bowel movements. More than 5.5 million people have fecal incontinence, including children and adults, people of all ages. It is more common in women than in men and more common in adults than adolescents and teens. However, fecal incontinence is a normal part of aging. The most common cause of fecal incontinence is actually constipation; constipation causes the muscles of the rectum to stretch, weakening the muscles so the person does not have time to make it to the bathroom. Problems with incontinence should be reported to a health care provide. Incontinence is not a hopeless situation! Proper treatment can help the majority of people, and often the problem can be eliminated altogether. Some common causes of fecal incontinence are:
* stress in an unfamiliar environment
* gynecological, prostate, or rectal surgery
* decreased awareness of sensation of bowel fullness
* severe diarrhea that overwhelms the ability to control passage of stool
* chronic laxative abuse
A healthy diet and way of living can greatly improve the digestive system and mitigate the severity of incontinence. Some foods that should be avoided include alcohol, spicy foods, caffeine, fatty and greasy foods, and other foods that usually cause diarrhea or an upset stomach. Here are a few tips that can benefit you in everyday situations that might arise:
* Use the toilet before heading out,
* Locate restrooms before you need them so you know where to go,
* If you think an episode might occur, wear absorbent pads or disposable undergarments.
Because fecal incontinence creates heavy bowel movements there are a number of products available that can help you live with it. Fecal incontinence can best be aided by products that can hold a lot of liquid and feces. Below you will find products that can help you deal with fecal incontinence.
* Moderate-Heavy Absorbency
* Stretchy, breathable material stays cool and comfortable next to your skin.
* Quiet and extra soft cloth-like moisture barrier keeps clothing and bedding dry.
* Wide, super absorbent Secure Loc TM gel core gives you concentrated protection where it's needed most.
* Flexible gathers offer a snug, secure fit to prevent side leakage.
* Pulls-on and wears like regular underwear.
Protective Underwear Page
* Moderate-heavy absorbency
* Soft lining for Dryer Skin
* One size fits all! Comfortable elastic ensures snug fit for everyone.
* Cloth-like construction with elastic buttoned straps that stretch up to 120% its size for maximum comfort and fit
* Odor protection via SecureLoc TM technology
Belted Undergarments Page